Honeycomb Foot Stool!

My husband and I kept using boxes or even a basketball for a footstool when in our living room so I decided after a while we needed a better footstool. At the time of making this footstool sometime in 2019 can’t remember when now I was obsessed with bees and honey and decorated a few things with this theme. I still love this bee and honey theme to be honest! 

So, because of this bee theme I saw some fabric I liked and wanted to use for the footstool and so I picked that up along with a chair cushion. I also saw people make their footstools out of low tables so I bought a small table at Walmart that was in their college décor back to school selection. I actually bought 2 of the tables, one was broken a little and I used that for another project but used the good one for the stool. So the stool had some long prominent legs and because of the way I wanted it I decided to paint the basic colored legs to match the fabric covers and theme.

I removed the legs and I painted the legs in yellow chalk paint and when dry I spread uneven a crackle medium over the yellow. Once dry I went over it with ivory chalk paint and waited for the really cool crackle effect I’m addicted to happen. I was not disappointed I love the subtle but still there effect.

Next, I measured the top of the table to the foam and painstakingly cut out the foam to fit. Once I had that done I hot glued and also I think I used some E-6000 glue to stick the foam to the top of the table. I found out the honeycomb fabric wasn’t thick enough to cover the whole thing so I went to get more but decided to alter it a bit. I instead bought a fabric that looked like honey and used that as the fabric to cover the foam. I had left over foam so my husband patched it in a way I could use it as added cushion for an upper area to the footstool and it gets mistaken as removable quite a bit lol.

I put the honey fabric on the footstool but I didn’t like the look so my husband pulled and cinched to perfection and then we hot glued it to the back of the tabletop. Also my husband put the legs back on and we had to drill holes through the fabric cinched underneath the table. So after that I put the honeycomb fabric around the smaller foam and we cinched it and hot glued the back of the fabric to the foam. I hot glued the honeycomb fabric to the top of the honey fabric and I did a very good job making sure the fabrics adhered good and I used a lot of glue but you can’t tell at all and to this day it hasn’t come off at all. 

The last element to add are bees of course! I had these more animated looking bees but I loved the look of them so I cut off a few strips of them as if your looking through the honeycomb and seeing the bees and seeing the honey effect below it. I decided to hot glue the fabric strips down to the honeycomb fabric but if you don’t want to you can sew it on prior to the fabric being attached to the foam. The bees have frayed only a little on the edges over the course of the year but I don’t mind and it’s not noticeable to anyone but me and it looks kind of rustic to be honest. 

So I really do love the look of the footstool when I made it and even so much still now. However, if I had a do over I would make the table a little shorter even though it was already a small table it was tall still and my legs are often higher than I would like on it. I would prefer to have my feet more down like a regular footstool but all that aside I use it all the time and love the look and feel of it. Also a pointer let the foam go a little further than the edge of the table so once the fabric cinches it pulls the foam downwards and you can get added cushion on the edges which you will need.


  • ·         Chair Cushion- a few dollars at Walmart, they have single ones which I got or even packs of 3 or 4
  • ·         Honeycomb Fabric-I believe I got half a yard and it was $3 or $4 a yard at Walmart
  • ·         Bee Fabric- I got half a yard and it was same price and place as the honeycomb
  • ·         Yellow Honey Fabric- 1 yard at Walmart and it was around $4 a yard
  • ·         Small Table-$14.99 at Walmart
  • ·         Yellow Chalk Paint- $5 or $6 for an 8 oz bottle at Walmart
  • ·         Ivory Chalk Paint-$5 or $6 for an 8 oz bottle at Walmart
  • ·         Crackle Medium-$4 or so dollars at Michaels after using a coupon







Comments

Popular Posts