Route 66 Clock!

I saw these cool hanging décor items that look like oversized bottle caps before 4th of July but I didn’t need the patriotic phrase I had a really cool idea for the bottle cap itself. So using a sanding block I removed the words and colored paint which I then painted the whole outer side and around the edges in black chalk paint.

Now measuring it and marking I knew where I needed to make the hole for the clock mechanism but given the bottle cap was metal it was much harder than it looks. I at first used the drill bit of my electric screw diver but that doesn’t work like a real drill so it only went so far. So the rest of the way we used scissors and grinded the hole and bent it till it was large enough. Once the hole was ready I put the Route 66 sticker on and made a hole in it to match the size of the one on the bottle cap and then was able to arrange the clock mechanism to the bottle cap at the back. 

I then used silver metallic acrylic paint to paint the edges of the bottle cap. I then used my screw driver to make scratch marks and painted them and around them with a metallic copper acrylic paint  but as if it was rusted so not uniformed or anything and a little bit of smudges of  metallic silver acrylic paint I used as well. I then took my sand block and made it look around the edges and top as if distressed.  Once it was ready I took to positioning each of the cars at the 12, 3, 6 and 9 o’clock mark and decided to use yellow acrylic paint at the other numbers as if it is the lines on the road which was cool!

I used these cute M2 vintage model cars. So the cars I got vary in year from 1954 to 1960 but I seem to have misplaced their boxes of the exact year, make and model. To place the cars I used E6000 glue and using just a little seemed to go a long way. In the few months its been hanging up not one of the cars has fallen which is pretty great.

This is one of my favorite things I’ve put together recently! My dad liked it so much I’m going to be making him one but with different cars!


  • Bottle Cap Décor- $12 at Wal-Mart (After making this they were clearance down eventually to $5 and I bought 2 more and so now they are gone from seasonal stock but can probably be found online or maybe can make one)
  • M2 Vintage Model Cars- $6.47 a piece at Wal-Mart
  • Clock Kit- $9 at Michaels
  • Route 66 Sticker- $1.47 at Wal-Mart (After I made this they clearance them all down and I bought several more before they now don't sell them but you can probably find similar stickers online)
  • Black Chalk Paint- $5.98 for 8 ounce bottle at Wal-Mart
  • Silver Metallic Acrylic Paint- $1 something at Wal-Mart
  • Metallic Copper Acrylic Paint- $1 something at Wal-Mart
  • Yellow Acrylic Paint- $1 at Michaels











Comments

Popular Posts